Justin is a healthcare innovation executive, corporate advisor and industry strategist. He’s also the host of healthcare’s most popular weekly syndicated radio show “This Just In” that airs on Healthcare Radio and Business Radio X. Justin is also the voice of HIMSS Radio.
Justin has over twenty years of experience in accelerating companies, associations and industries. He brings essential expertise from hi-tech and Silicon Valley start-up’s to industry-leading Fortune 5 and Global 300 corporations. In one of Justin’s most recent ventures, he was a member of the leadership and growth teams at Greenway Health where he assisted with annual revenue growth from $1M to $150M. During this time, Justin and his team also built a nationally respected power-brand in healthcare and helped navigate Greenway through a successful NYSE IPO. Greenway subsequently sold twenty months later for $644M and was the centerpiece of a $1.2B health IT and services roll-up.
Prior to Greenway, Justin was a member of the founding team and Vice President of the patient-provider communications and engagement company, Healinx Corporation. Today, Healinx is known as the RelayHealth Division of McKesson. Before starting Healinx/ RelayHealth, Barnes held several National Operations positions with HBO and Company that subsequently merged with McKesson in 1999.
Justin has formally addressed and/or testified before Congress as well as the last three Presidential Administrations on more than twenty occasions with statements relating to alternative payment and care delivery models, MACRA, the Quality Payment Program, innovation, precision medicine, population health, revenue cycle management, interoperability, EHR meaningful use, consumerism, health information exchange, patient engagement and the globalization of healthcare. Barnes is a regular public speaker on these issues and has appeared in more than 2,000 journals, magazines and broadcast media outlets. In addition, Barnes has advised several U.S. Presidential campaigns on healthcare public policy, HIPAA, health information exchange, health IT and EHRs.
Barnes majored in Legal Studies and holds a BA and BS from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. He holds a Certificate of Diagnostics from Emory’s School of Medicine and is also a HIMSS Fellow. Justin proudly served Rotary International as a Board Member and Chairman of Public Relations for the Amherst Rotary Club. He’s also a veteran, having served in the United States Army within Infantry (11B) and Communication (31M) Units.
Elected and Appointed Governance Positions
- Chairman Emeritus and co-Founder of the HIMSS EHR Association
- Co-Founder, Health Innovation Think Tank
- Co-Founder and Director, Mobile Health Consortium
- Co-Chairman and co-Founder, Accountable Care Community of Practice (AC CoP)
- Board Member, The Sequoia Project
- Co-Founder, Sequoia Project’s Carequality
- Board Member and co-Founder, CommonWell Health Alliance
- Board Member, Bipartisan Policy Center Task Force on Delivery System Reform & Health IT
- Board Member, Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE-USA)
- Co-Chairman, Metro Atlanta Chamber (MAC) Bioscience Leadership Council (BLC)
- Fellow, Healthcare Information Management and Systems Society (HIMSS)
- Board Member, Texas Health Institute (THI)
- Board Member and co-Founder, ONC Regional Extension Center (REC) Community of Practice (EHR Adoption CoP)
- Board Member of the HLC Confidentiality Coalition Steering Committee
- Board Member, National Science Foundation (NSF) Body of Knowledge Advisory Board
- Chairman, Membership Committee of EHR Association
- Board Member, Gwinnett Technical College HIT Advisory Board
- Co-Chairman, Government Relations, National Health IT Week
- Member of National Governors Association (NGA) Health Information Protection Task Force of the State Alliance for E-Health
- Member of EHR Association Government Relations Work Group
- Member of HIMSS Government Relations Roundtable
- Member of Certification Commission for Healthcare Information Technology (CCHIT) Privacy Expert Panel
(*$14.7B inc. McKesson)
million in annual revenue
for over 20 years
Hill 23 times