Justin is a healthcare innovation executive, corporate advisor and industry strategist. In addition, he’s co-founder of the Health Innovation Think Tank where he assists with industry strategy, collaboration and leadership. Justin is also the host of healthcare’s most popular weekly syndicated radio show “This Just In” that airs on Healthcare Radio and Business Radio X as well as he’s the voice of HIMSS Radio.
Justin has over twenty years of experience in accelerating companies, associations and industries. He brings essential expertise from hi-tech and Silicon Valley start-up’s to industry-leading Fortune 5 and Global 300 corporations. In one of Justin’s most recent ventures, he was a member of the leadership and growth teams where he assisted with annual revenue growth from $1M to $150M. During this time, Justin and his team also built a nationally respected power-brand in healthcare and helped navigate the company through a successful NYSE IPO that subsequently sold twenty months later as the centerpiece of a $1.2B health IT and services roll-up.
Prior to GWY, Justin was a member of the founding team and Vice President of the patient-provider communications and engagement company, Healinx Corporation. Today, Healinx is known as the RelayHealth Division of McKesson. Before starting Healinx/ RelayHealth, Barnes held several National Operations positions with McKesson.
Justin has formally addressed and/or testified before Congress as well as the last three Presidential Administrations on more than twenty occasions with statements relating to alternative payment and care delivery models, value-based care, MACRA, the Quality Payment Program, connected health, virtual care, innovation, precision medicine, population health, revenue cycle management, interoperability, consumerism, health information exchange, patient engagement and the globalization of healthcare. Barnes is a regular public speaker on these issues and has appeared in more than 2,000 journals, magazines and broadcast media outlets. In addition, Barnes has advised several U.S. Presidential campaigns on healthcare public policy, HIPAA, health information exchange, health IT and EHRs.
Barnes majored in Legal Studies and holds a BA and BS from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. He holds a Certificate of Diagnostics from Emory’s School of Medicine and is also a HIMSS Fellow. Justin proudly served Rotary International as a Board Member and Chairman of Public Relations for the Amherst Rotary Club. He’s also a veteran, having served in the United States Army within Infantry (11B) and Communication (31M) Units.
Elected and Appointed Governance Positions
- Co-Founder, Health Innovation Think Tank
- Chairman Emeritus and co-Founder of the HIMSS EHR Association
- Board Member, Georgia HIMSS
- Co-Founder and Director, Mobile Health Consortium
- Co-Chairman and co-Founder, Accountable Care Community of Practice (AC CoP)
- Board Member, The Sequoia Project
- Co-Founder, Sequoia Project’s Carequality
- Board Member and co-Founder, CommonWell Health Alliance
- Board Member, Bipartisan Policy Center Task Force on Delivery System Reform & Health IT
- Board Member, Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE-USA)
- Co-Chairman, Metro Atlanta Chamber (MAC) Bioscience Leadership Council (BLC)
- Fellow, Healthcare Information Management and Systems Society (HIMSS)
- Board Member, Texas Health Institute (THI)
- Board Member and co-Founder, ONC Regional Extension Center (REC) Community of Practice (EHR Adoption CoP)
- Board Member of the HLC Confidentiality Coalition Steering Committee
- Board Member, National Science Foundation (NSF) Body of Knowledge Advisory Board
- Chairman, Membership Committee of EHR Association
- Board Member, Gwinnett Technical College HIT Advisory Board
- Co-Chairman, Government Relations, National Health IT Week
- Member of National Governors Association (NGA) Health Information Protection Task Force of the State Alliance for E-Health
- Member of EHR Association Government Relations Work Group
- Member of HIMSS Government Relations Roundtable
- Member of Certification Commission for Healthcare Information Technology (CCHIT) Privacy Expert Panel
(*$14.7B inc. McKesson)
million in annual revenue
for over 20 years
Hill 23 times
to Gozio Health’s growth. From market and product
strategy to lead generation and fundraising, Justin has
been a tremendous asset for my company.”
— Joshua Titus, CEO, Gozio Health
Few people can lead others as effectively with such diplomacy and ease.
I've known Justin as a competitor and as a client for five years—and he has
an idealistic tenacity within this health IT industry that is exemplary. I've
never seen Justin shy away from doing whatever it takes to make things
happen—no matter how lofty or granular the task.”
— Julia Zarb, Program Director, University of Toronto
parties trying to achieve consensus, and successfully negotiate obstacles
to achieving that consensus. His political acumen is also superb, and his
work towards guiding legislative efforts further healthcare information
technology has not only benefited the industry, but consumers of
healthcare as well.” — Michael McCoy, MD
From industry strategy, to corporate & business
development, to marketing & public relations
Justin has generated outstanding value
to my company.” —Tom Dorsett, CEO, ePatientFinder
appreciate the skill, confidence and consistency he brings to any
endeavor. I’ve seen Justin work skillfully with various groups
and people on important issues that had often had individuals
with very strong and even sometimes difficult personalities.
Justin will always fairly and skillfully work the issue or
problem at hand.” —Lisa Spellman, Senior Director, HIMSS