Justin is a healthcare innovation executive, corporate advisor and industry strategist. In addition, he’s co-founder of the Health Innovation Think Tank where he assists with industry strategy, collaboration and leadership. Justin is also the host of healthcare’s most popular weekly syndicated radio show “This Just In” that airs on Healthcare Radio and Business Radio X as well as he’s the voice of HIMSS Radio.
Justin has over 25 years of experience in accelerating companies, associations, and industries. He brings essential expertise from hi-tech & Silicon Valley start-ups to industry-leading Fortune 5 and Global 300 corporations. In Justin’s last digital health, patient experience, and virtual care venture, he led exponential growth of 2,800% as Qure4u Board Member & Chief Growth Officer during those three years.
Previous to that venture, Justin assisted with revenue growth from $1M annually to $150M in annual revenue. During this time, Justin and his team also built Greenway into a nationally respected power-brand in healthcare and helped navigate the company through a successful NYSE IPO that subsequently sold twenty months later as the centerpiece of a $1.2B health IT and services roll-up.
Prior to GWAY, Justin was a member of the founding team and Vice President of the patient-provider communications and engagement company, Healinx Corporation. Today, Healinx is known as the RelayHealth and CoverMyMeds Division of McKesson. Before starting Healinx/ RelayHealth, Barnes held several National Operations positions with McKesson.
Justin has formally addressed and/or testified before Congress as well as the last five Presidential Administrations on more than twenty occasions with statements relating to alternative payment & care delivery models, digital health, value-based care, connected health, virtual care, precision medicine, population health, consumerism, revenue cycle management, interoperability, innovation and the globalization of healthcare. Barnes is a regular public speaker on these issues and has appeared in more than 3,000 journals, magazines, and broadcast media outlets. In addition, Barnes has advised several U.S. Presidential campaigns on healthcare public policy, HIPAA, health information exchange, health IT and EHRs.
Barnes majored in Legal Studies and holds a BA and BS from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. He holds a Certificate of Diagnostics from Emory’s School of Medicine and is also a HIMSS Fellow. Justin proudly served Rotary International as a Board Member and Chairman of Public Relations for the Amherst Rotary Club. He’s also a veteran, having served in the United States Army within Infantry (11B) and Communication (31M) Units.
Elected and Appointed Governance Positions
- Co-Founder, Health Innovation Think Tank (HIThinkTank)
- Chairman Emeritus and co-Founder of the HIMSS EHR Association
- Board Member, Georgia HIMSS
- Co-Founder and Director, Mobile Health Consortium
- Co-Chairman and co-Founder, Accountable Care Community of Practice (AC CoP)
- Board Member, The Sequoia Project
- Co-Founder, Sequoia Project’s Carequality
- Board Member and co-Founder, CommonWell Health Alliance
- Board Member, Bipartisan Policy Center Task Force on Delivery System Reform & Health IT
- Board Member, Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE-USA)
- Co-Chairman, Metro Atlanta Chamber (MAC) Bioscience Leadership Council (BLC)
- Fellow, Healthcare Information Management and Systems Society (HIMSS)
- Board Member, Texas Health Institute (THI)
- Board Member and co-Founder, ONC Regional Extension Center (REC) Community of Practice (EHR Adoption CoP)
- Board Member of the HLC Confidentiality Coalition Steering Committee
- Board Member, National Science Foundation (NSF) Body of Knowledge Advisory Board
- Chairman, Membership Committee of EHR Association
- Board Member, Gwinnett Technical College HIT Advisory Board
- Co-Chairman, Government Relations, National Health IT Week
- Member of National Governors Association (NGA) Health Information Protection Task Force of the State Alliance for E-Health
- Member of EHR Association Government Relations Work Group
- Member of HIMSS Government Relations Roundtable
- Member of Certification Commission for Healthcare Information Technology (CCHIT) Privacy Expert Panel
- Member, Healthcare Transformation Alliance (HTA)
► Read Justin’s Congressional Recommendation (PDF)
► Download a Print Version of Justin’s Biography (PDF)
(*$14.7B inc. McKesson)
million in annual revenue
for over 20 years
Hill 23 times